iSumsoft » Resources » Windows 10 » How to Reset the Forgotten PIN in Windows 10

How to Reset Your Forgotten PIN in Windows 10

If you are having trouble using your PIN to sign into Windows 10, you may realize you forgot the correct PIN code. Don't worry! You still have the chance to regain access to Windows 10 and get a new PIN. Here we'll describe 2 options to reset the forgotten PIN. The first option requires the PC runs Windows 10 Fall Creator Update, and the second option works in all versions of Windows 10.

How to reset PIN at the lock screen for Microsoft Account

Starting with the Fall Creators Update, Windows 10 includes a new option that makes it super easy to reset your PIN at the lock screen when using a Microsoft account. Here is how:

Step 1: In the Lock screen, click on the I forgot my PIN link.

I forgot my PIN

Step 2: Enter your Microsoft account password and click Next.

Enter your Microsoft password

Step 3: If you have two-step verification turned on for your Microsoft account, you have to enter the recovery email address or phone number to verify your ownership.

Verify your identity

Step 4: Enter the security code you’ve received from Microsoft, and click Next.

Enter security code

Step 5: Click on Continue to confirm. A popup will appear and you’re prompted to set up a PIN. Enter at least a minimum 4 digit new PIN number you want for your Microsoft account.

Enter new PIN code

After resetting PIN successfully, you can now sign in to Windows 10 with your Microsoft account using the new PIN. However, the "I forgot my PIN" option is only available at the sign-in screen when using a Microsoft account. If you are using a local account, follow these Steps in Option 2.

How to reset forgotten PIN in Settings app

If you are using a local account and forgot your PIN code, log in with your password and follow these steps below to reset your PIN.

Step 1: On your lock screen, under the PIN entry box, select Sign-in options and sign in with your password.

Note: If you even forgot your password and are completely locked out of your Windows 10 PC, try to use Windows Password Refixer to reset your password.

Sign-in with password

Step 2: Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, and click on I forgot my PIN.

I forgot my PIN

Step 3: Type your account password and click OK.

Verify your account password

Step 4: Enter your new PIN in the fields and click OK. Then a new PIN is created.

Create a new PIN code