It’s a good idea to update the iPhone software in time. This not only allows you to experience the new features brought by the latest iOS version, but also can fix bugs or errors in the old iOS version. This article will show you how to update your iPhone to the latest iOS version (14.4.2). There are four methods available.
Tip: Under normal circumstances, iOS update will not cause any data loss, but it is still recommended to back up your iPhone before beginning, just in case.
iPhone allows you to update iOS to the latest version from the Settings app. Connect your iPhone to a stable Wi-Fi network and make sure it has at least 50% battery power (preferably connect it to a power source), then follow the steps below.
1. Open the Settings app from your iPhone’s Home screen. Then tap General > Software Update. iPhone will check for update.
2. If a new iOS version is available, it will be displayed on the screen. Tap Download and Install. If the new iOS software has already been downloaded, just tap Install Now. Then follow the on-screen prompts to install the update.
If you don’t have a Wi-Fi network, or you can’t update through Settings for some reason, the second option is to update your iPhone to the latest iOS version using iTunes on your PC.
1. Make sure your PC is connected to the Internet and has the latest version of iTunes installed.
2. Connect the iPhone to your computer with an Apple USB cable, and then launch iTunes. You may need to click Continue in iTunes, then unlock your iPhone and tap Trust to allow this computer to access the iPhone.
3. Once the iPhone is connected to iTunes, iTunes will pop up a dialog box showing that a new iPhone software version is available and asking if you would like to download it and update your iPhone. Click Download and Update.
If iTunes does not pop up an update prompt, click the iPhone icon showing in the upper-left corner of the iTunes window, and then click the Summary tab on the left to display the iPhone’s device information. Then click Check for Update on the right.
4. The iPhone software update license agreement pops up. Click Agree to agree to the license, and then just follow the on-screen steps to update your iPhone to the latest iOS version.
If you got an error while using iTunes to update your iPhone, here is an alternative to iTunes – iSumsoft iOS Refixer. It is a desktop app for PC that allows you to update your iPhone perfectly without using iTunes without any data loss. Moreover, it can also be used to fix various iPhone problems, such as iPhone not booting properly, iPhone screen freezing, etc. Follow the steps below.
1. Download iSumsoft iOS Refixer and install it on your PC. After installation, launch this app.
2. There are two options on the interface. To update the iPhone, choose Standard Mode on the left. The Advanced Mode on the right is used to restore the iPhone without using iTunes. In Advanced Mode, your iPhone will also be updated to the latest iOS version, but you will lose all your data.
3. Click Start on the next page to continue. Then make sure your iPhone is connected to the PC with a USB cable and click Next. Once the app connects to your iPhone, it loads your device information.
4. Click Download and it will start downloading the latest iOS firmware package for your iPhone. Just wait for the download to complete. This takes a few minutes.
5. Finally, click the Repair button and the app will start updating your iPhone with the latest iOS software. Just keep the iPhone connected and wait for the update to complete.
6. When the success message is displayed on the interface, your iPhone has been updated to the latest iOS version.
If you don’t have a PC but have a Mac, you can also update your iPhone to the latest iOS version using your Mac.
1. If you are using a Mac running macOS Catalina 10.5, open Finder. If you are using a Mac running macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, open iTunes.
2. Connect your iPhone to your Mac with a USB cable, and then locate your device in the Finder or iTunes.
3. Click General in Finder or Summary in iTunes to display your device info. Then click Check for Update and follow the steps on the screen to update your iPhone.